I made this last week and it was yummy! But didn’t post the recipe because we were a little cranky that night. And by we, I mean the kiddos. (And maybe me too. But just a “smidge” cranky!)
I like this dish because I start it when the kids are eating lunch, finish it just after #1 goes to preschool and #2 is taking a nap. (Yes, I did just number my children. That’s a story for another day!). Then I can pop it in the fridge to cool down and have dinner ready. Cuz who likes kids tugging at your pants and stepping on your toes at 5:30 when you have to come up with something to eat! (I love cooking in the afternoon and not having to worry about my toes and the tugs!)
Chicken and Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown rice ($.40)(See how to bake brown rice in the oven here.)
- 1 cup white rice ($.20)
- 2 B/S chicken breasts ($2) Ha! Nice! Funny how I just wrote about using other cuts of chicken this morning! I'm using up a "stockpile" package! And yes, will still use B/S chicken every now and again!
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil ($.10)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.02)
- Salt pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen pineapple ($.50) Bought with $.75 coupon!
- 1 cup chopped almonds ($.50) Bought with $1 coupon!
- 1/2 cup apple juice ($.15)
- 2 heads broccoli ($1) Price matched last week
- Cook brown rice as directed on package. (It takes much longer than the white rice!)
- Cook white rice. (Note: I made 1 cup of brown rice and it didn't expand-o like white rice does, so I ended up making another cup of white rice to make some extras for leftovers!) Bring 2.5 cups of water to boil. Add 1 cup of uncooked rice.
- Return water to a bowl. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.
- Bake chicken with olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper sprinkled over the top. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove and let cool. Then dice into bite size pieces.
- In large bowl, combine cooked rices, apple juice, diced chicken, diced pineapple and chopped (or sliced) almonds. Add about 2-3 tsp pan juices from chicken for some extra flavor (optional). Stir through. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Steam broccoli just before you are ready to eat.
- Serve chilled chicken and rice salad with steamed broccoli.