I keep thinking my life is going to slow down and I am going to get my family on a lovely schedule. I am not sure if I hang on to this vision because I am optimistic or delusional. While I would love to have orderly evenings with plenty of time to cook three course meals, it isn’t happening. So on busy nights I content myself with feeding my family “Real Fast Food” – meals that are made of real ingredients and that come together faster than the local pizza company can deliver pizza.
If I make time on one day to Batch Grill or Batch Broil some chicken, it allows me to put together a satisfying salad in a short amount of time. I also wash my greens as soon as I bring them in from the garden or home from the store, so I don’t have to waste precious minutes washing and drying veggies with four pair of starving eyes staring at me.
Orange Spinach Chicken Salad with Orange Mustard Vinaigrette
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 2 oranges
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dried mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 6 – 8 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Cook and dice chicken, if needed. (No cooking time if already cooked.*)
- Zest and juice one orange and place the juice and zest into a small bowl. Add rice vinegar, olive oil, dried mustard, and honey. Use a whisk to blend. Set aside.
- Peel the other orange. Separate the segments, then slice each segment into 4 pieces.
- Add oranges pieces, spinach, cooked and diced chicken and onions to a large bowl and toss.
- Divide the salads between serving dishes. Pour dressing over the top and sprinkle with almonds.
- Serve Orange Spinach Chicken Salad with Orange Mustard Vinaigrette.
If you have any dressing leftover, you can use it as a chicken marinade for a future dish.