A great guest post from Carrie at Ginger Lemon Girl!
One of my favorite things about being gluten free is that the desserts are wonderful! Believe it or not, using gluten free flours to make brownies, cakes, or cookies can be a lot of fun and incredibly tasty!!
But as much as I love to bake, sometimes it’s easier to simply make something naturally gluten free!
My favorite naturally gluten free dessert? Fruit!
Fruit is so healthy, delicious, and full of good natural sugars that sometimes it simply makes the best dessert you’ll ever have!
The dessert I’m sharing with you today is one of my favorites to make for company. It is elegant, sweet, and has a lovely presentation! I grew up surrounded by apple orchards in southwest Virginia. We ate a lot of apples and I still love them!
When apples are baked they caramelize and turn a beautiful golden brown. The are deliciously sweet and make a perfect light dessert! We enjoy this year round, although primarily in the fall when apples are abundant and very frugal. Even off season though, apples are a great frugal choice for desserts and snacks. This dessert will easily fall around $3 total depending on the prices you can find on pecans and apples. I think it’s an extremely budget-friendly and healthy choice!
I prefer not to peel my apples, as the peel is incredibly healthy and why waste such a nutritious part of your dessert!
Photo courtesy of Goldfinch Restaurant
Baked Cinnamon Apples with Pecans
Yield – 4-6 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 4-5 Gala apples, washed and cored, and sliced (usually around $.99 lb. on sale)
- 1/4 cup honey (.25 )
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (pennies)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (pennies)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (if bought on sale in the fall and frozen — $1.50 lb.)
- Spritz a medium sized casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place apple slices skin side down on the baking dish.
- Drizzle honey evenly over the apples. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg evenly over the apples and lastly chopped pecans.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes until apples are golden and tender. Serve immediately. makes 4-6 servings.
Total estimated cost of dessert: $2.75
A hearty thank you to Erin your lovely $5 Dinners host for allowing me the wonderful privilege to share my thoughts and recipes with you! I hope you will come visit me anytime at GingerLemonGirl.com. I welcome you to email me with your comments and questions at email@example.com.
Wishing you all the very best of gluten free, and budget-friendly health!!
Carrie @ Gingerlemongirl.com
Carrie is an eastern NC resident with a passion for frugal gluten-free cooking and baking. She loves helping people with food intolerances. You can email Carrie at firstname.lastname@example.org and read her blog at http://www.gingerlemongirl.com.