White Bean and Ham Soup
Recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking’s Mediterranean White Bean Soup
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 2 hours (less if beans are already cooked)
- 1 cup dried great northern beans ($.30)
- 6-8 cups of water
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced ($.05) I bought some garlic heads for $.10 a piece a few weeks back 🙂
- .6 lb ham, diced ($2.64)
- 1 can organic no salt added diced tomatoes ($.50) Bought with $1 Q when on sale for $1.50
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning ($.05)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- Serve with 1 bunch (lb) asparagus ($1.49) Price matched at WM
- 2-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil ($.05)
- Rinse beans. Soak white beans in water overnight, or in HOT water for at least 2 hours. Drain water and place beans in pot. Add 6-8 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and cook on medium for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Once beans are cooked and soft, add can of tomatoes, garlic slices, chicken broth and ham. Cook on medium-high for 10 more minutes.
- Cook 1 cup of rice in 2.5 cups of water. Bring water boil. Add rice. Return to boil. Cover rice and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute asparagus in extra virgin olive oil for 4-5 minutes, until turns brighter green.
- Serve soup with a side of rice and sauteed asparagus.
P.S. This soup would have been a little tastier if I had used some of my FREE chicken broth from the freezer. Now I know for next time. And might I suggest 2 cups or a can of chicken broth be added to this recipe!