It’s great to be back in the kitchen! I missed cooking for a few days while I was away!
Tonight’s meal could be made in so many ways, but I settled for the Vegetarian style because I saw the asparagus first in the fridge and thought it would be a fun twist! I was hoping I had some spinach left, but it was all gone! If you wanted to add meat to this soup, just add 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb ground sausage, or 1 lb ground beef.
Update: For a truly vegetarian meal, use vegetable broth! Was NOT thinking about the chicken broth when I titled this!
Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 2 cups homemade vegetable (or chicken) broth (free!)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes ($.50) On sale with coupon
- 1 6 oz can organic tomato paste ($.19) Used $1 off coupon
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped ($.99) On sale this past week for $.99/lb!!! A great price!
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1 tsp basil ($.05)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning ($.05)
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups pasta (elbow, spiral, or broken lasagna noodles) ($.99) Use rice pasta if GF
- 2 dollops of ricotta cheese ($.35)
- Couple handfuls of shredded cheese, to garnish ($.75)
- 4 Homemade Rolls ($.50)
- In large saucepan, add broth, canned tomatoes, tomato paste plus 2 cans worth of water.
- Whisk in tomato paste.
- Add finely chopped asparagus and seasonings, to taste. (Add in other veggies and/or cooked meat at this point).
- Let cook about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of pasta and 2 dollops of ricotta cheese to the soup.
- Let cook about 10 minutes, until pasta is cooked through.
- Garnish with favorite shredded cheese. (Omit cheeses if Casein Free!)
- Serve immediately. (Leaving soup on simmer will cause the pasta to overcook!)
- Make Homemade Rolls. 
- Serve Lasagna Soup with Homemade Rolls.