- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Turkey Lasagna Soup
Posted By Alea On November 8, 2011 @ 5:30 pm In Pasta,Recipes,Soup,Turkey | 2 Comments
It may seem early to be thinking about how you are going to use your Thanksgiving leftovers since you probably haven’t even bought your turkey yet. But the best way to make sure that your leftovers don’t get pushed to the back of the refrigerator is to have a plan for how you are going to use them up.
On Thanksgiving night, I clean the meat off the turkey and place the turkey bones in the slow cooker to make turkey broth . The next morning I wake up to delicious turkey broth and have the base for several delicious recipes.
The best way to ensure your family doesn’t get tired of leftovers is to create new and surprising flavor combinations with your leftovers. If you just reheat turkey and mashed potatoes they will probably get bored, but if you use the mashed potatoes in a Pierogi Casserole  and the turkey in Curried Turkey Salad  or Lasagna Soup they will probably forget that they are eating leftovers.
Alea’s Turkey Lasagna Soup
Yield - 8 servings
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, mined
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups carrots, julienned
- 1 3/4 cup diced tomatoes (or 14.5 oz.can)
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce (or 15 oz. can)
- 6 cups turkey broth (How to make Turkey Broth in a Slow Cooker )
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 – 10 lasagna noodles, broken into large pieces
- 2 cups leftover turkey, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots and celery to a large pot. Saute on medium-high heat for 5 -6 minutes or until onions begin to become translucent.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and spices and bring to a boil.
- Add noodles and simmer until al dente, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add turkey and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Top each bowl of soup with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
I serve this soup with a garden salad and rolls if we have any leftover from Thanksgiving dinner.
How do you use up your Thanksgiving leftovers?
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/turkey-lasagna-soup/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 turkey bones in the slow cooker to make turkey broth: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/turkey-and-rice-soup-and-how-to-make-turkey-stock-in-a-crockpot/
 Pierogi Casserole: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/11/aleas-pierogi-casserole.html
 Curried Turkey Salad: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/11/aleas-curried-turkey-salad.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.