- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Spicy Tuna Melt Pie
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On December 1, 2010 @ 5:52 pm In Fish,Pantry Staples,Recipes | 8 Comments
When I first heard this title, I was skeptical.
When I decided to try to make it, I was still skeptical.
When I put the dish together, the skepticism remained. I baked it anyways.
And I’m glad I did, because when I took a bite, all my skeptical thoughts were washed away.
I was expecting it to be “over-tuna-y.” It was not.
I was expecting it to be too bland (yes, despite the hot sauce). It was not.
I was expecting the boys to take a bite and leave it be. They did not.
Now that I’ve pleaded it’s case, here’s the recipe…
Spicy Tuna Melt Pie
Adapted from Rachael Ray’s Tuna Melt Pie 
- 1 tsp olive oil ($.03)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped ($.30)
- 1 green pepper, chopped ($.20) Check out my green pepper steal from the farmer’s market
- 1 6 oz can mushrooms, drained ($.99)
- 1 4 oz can green chilies ($.59)
- 3 6 oz. cans tuna, drained ($1.50) $.50/can is my “never pay more than” price
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise ($.05)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar choose ($.67) Optional
- 1 cup milk ($.10)
- 3 eggs ($.30)
- 1/3 cup flour ($.08)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted ($.20)
- 1-2 Tbsp hot sauce ($.20)
- 1 15 oz. can corn ($.50)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly grease a quiche plate, pie plate or 9 inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and add the onion and green pepper. Saute for a few minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms and green chilies cook for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna and mayonnaise, breaking up the tuna. Stir in the sauteed veggie mixture, then stir in shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, flour and butter. Stir into the tuna-cheese mixture, then stir in the hot sauce.
- Pour the spicy tuna melt into the greased pie plate, cake pan or quiche plate.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until is set in the middle and begins to golden on top.
- Heat the corn, as directed on the can.
- Serve Spicy Tuna Melt Pie with side of corn kernels.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/tuna-melt-pie/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Rachael Ray’s Tuna Melt Pie: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipes/dinner-for-10-dollars-or-less-recipes/Tuna-Melt-Pie
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.