- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Tricia’s Fried Green Tomatoes
Posted By Tricia H On July 28, 2011 @ 5:34 pm In Fresh Veggies,Homemade,Recipes,Side Dish | 22 Comments
Sliced, dipped, dredged and fried tomatoes equal a plateful of delights as the showcase of veggie night. It’s an annual treat. I make fried green tomatoes maybe twice a summer. Veggie plate night, of course being a frugal way to feed our hodgepodge. And fried green tomatoes, of course being a way to liven things up a bit.
I explained to the children that fried green tomatoes are served as high dollar appetizers in fine restaurants. So I’ve heard. The taste being similar to fried zucchini but a little more on the tart side.
This is the same process I use for fried okra. Though standing and frying okra is a true act of love!
Fried Green Tomatoes
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 10-15 minutes
- 2-3 green tomatoes (unripened)
- buttermilk, enough for dipping (don’t have buttermilk, make substitute )
- cornmeal, enough for coating, maybe 1/2 cup
- enough oil to cover the bottom of your iron skillet
- Slice your tomatoes. Not too thin and not too thick.
- Fix a cereal bowl full of buttermilk and one full of cornmeal. No certain amounts.
- Pour your oil in your skillet and heat up on medium high.
- Dip individual tomato slices first in buttermilk.
- Next, dredge in cornmeal. (Turn over and coat both sides.)
- Drop carefully into the hot oil. Fry less than five minutes on each side.
- When nice and brown, remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. You might want to blot the oil with another paper towel a bit as well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if you like. We didn’t and they were mighty tasty.
Cost $ Pennies
Serve with cornbread, macaroni and cheese  and your other favorite vegetables . We enjoy a veggie plate at least once a week – especially when vegetables are fresh and plentiful. Tasty and frugal! Sweet tea  or iced coffee  are a bonus for adults. You might also like Erin’s Grilled Green Tomatoes . Get every bite of summer you can!
How about you. How often do you enjoy a veggie plate?
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/tricias-fried-green-tomatoes-2/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 make substitute: http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodequivalents/a/buttermilkequiv.htm
 Add this recipe to ZipList!: http://www.5dollardinners.comvoid(0);
 macaroni and cheese: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/12/crock-pot-macaroni-cheese.html
 other favorite vegetables: http://www.hodgepodge.me/2011/07/veggie-plate-simple-supper/
 Sweet tea: http://www.hodgepodge.me/2011/06/the-sweetness-of-summer-sweet-tea-recipe/
 iced coffee: http://www.hodgepodge.me/2011/02/i-is-for-iced-coffee/
 Erin’s Grilled Green Tomatoes: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/07/sliced-green-tomatoes-grill.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.