This easy dinner recipe is an elegant version of a “dump” casserole. It is made almost entirely of items that I pulled from the freezer and dumped into a casserole dish while still frozen. Then I topped everything with a quick and easy vegetarian gravy before baking.
I am cleaning out our freezer in preparation for a move, so my goal was to use as many frozen items as possible. However, you can substitute fresh vegetables for any of the frozen items. In addition to the frozen tortellini, I added frozen cherry tomatoes (yes, you really can freeze cherry tomatoes!), frozen green beans, frozen carrots, and frozen bell peppers. At the very end, I topped the casserole with a little frozen cheese. So I made a nice dent in my freezer while creating an effortless dinner.
Some of the cherry tomatoes split open while baking, adding their flavor to the gravy. If you would like a stronger tomato flavor, use 1 3/4 cups diced tomatoes. If you use canned tomatoes, be sure to drain them so they don’t make the casserole too soupy.
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 16 oz. package frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Vegetarian Gravy Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (how to make vegetable broth from scratch)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the frozen tortellini and vegetables in a 13 x 9 pan.
- Add all of the gravy ingredients to a small pan. Whisk ingredients until they are blended. Cook over a medium-high flame and stir occasionally, until it reaches a boil. Lower flame, stir frequently, and simmer for 2 -3 minutes until it thickens.
- Pour the gravy over the tortellini and vegetables. Stir to coat.
- Place foil over the pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Stir halfway through baking time.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 10 more minutes.
I served the tortellini casserole with a garden salad.