1 small yellow onion, chopped ($.20)
2 cloves garlic, crushed ($.10)
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing ($.20)
4 cups water
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained ($.80)
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained ($.65)
1/2 cup quick-cooking barley ($.40)
Handful fresh basil, chopped (from the garden) or use 1 tsp dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium green pepper, chopped (from the garden!!!)
Dollops of sour cream (optional) Omit if dairy-free!
2 cups frozen corn ($1)
Homemade Wheat Rolls ($.50) I had some stashed in the freezer
1. In large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in dressing in large saucepan on medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
2. Stir in all remaining ingredients except green peppers and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and stir in green peppers. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Top each bowl with dollop of sour cream.
6. Cook frozen corn according to the directions on the package.
7. Make homemade wheat rolls, or serve with store bought bread.
7. Serve Tomato Black Bean Barley Soup with Corn and Wheat Rolls.