Tomato Black Bean Barley Soup
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped ($.20)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed ($.10)
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing ($.20)
- 4 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained ($.80)
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained ($.65)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley ($.40)
- Handful fresh basil, chopped (from the garden) or use 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (from the garden!!!)
- Dollops of sour cream (optional) Omit if dairy-free!
- 2 cups frozen corn ($1)
- Homemade Wheat Rolls ($.50) I had some stashed in the freezer
- In large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in dressing in large saucepan on medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except green peppers and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in green peppers. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Top each bowl with dollop of sour cream.
- Cook frozen corn according to the directions on the package.
- Make homemade wheat rolls, or serve with store bought bread.
- Serve Tomato Black Bean Barley Soup with Corn and Wheat Rolls.