I am in the throes of planning an animal themed birthday party for my soon to be 7, 4 and 3 year old children (all of their birthdays fall within 1 week of each other). The bash will be held at a pet shop where the kids will have a tour of the aquarium and get to play with various animals. When I first scheduled the party, I winced when I calculated what it would cost to order pizza. Then a friend suggested that I could make my own version of a animal themed “Happy Meal”. The kids and I made “Doggy Bags” using a free download on Martha Stewart. The best part (other than the price) is that almost every item could be packaged ahead of time.
- Pb & J Sandwiches cut into dog shapes with a cookie cutter (freezing instructions if you want to make these ahead of time)
- Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies
- Baby Carrots (ie. bunny food)
- Gummy Fish swimming in Blue Jello (instructions)
- Loaf of bread: $1.29
- 3/4 of jar of Peanut Butter: $1.94
- 1/2 jar of Jelly: $0.70
- Box of Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies: $3.39
- 4 boxes of Mixed Berry Jello + 1/2 bag of Gummy Fish: $3.68
- Bag of Baby Carrots: $1
Total Cost: $12 or $0.67 per child
What is your favorite way to save on birthday meals?