- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Thai Beef Cabbage Roll Bake – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 9, 2012 @ 6:10 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beef,Recipes | 14 Comments
The timing was perfect, the sales were perfect…and the ingredients in my pantry seemed to leap out at me as I was working up meal ideas and plans for this month. I remember Alea’s Cabbage Rolls  from last year, and I’d be wanting to try something similar. Cabbage rolls (and lettuce wraps) work wonderfully for those with gluten and/or corn allergies/intolerances. For those who can’t enjoy tortillas. (Because I can’t imagine gluten free or corn free tortillas working so well…maybe I’m wrong.)
Blanche the cabbage leaves. Boil for 2-3 minutes, then plunge into bowl of cold water.
Meanwhile, combine the ground beef (I was using beef I’d already browned…you could certainly brown with the onions and spices.)
Once meat mixture flavors have mingled, remove from heat and toss in chopped peanuts.
Dry the leaves and cut out the tough stem portion.
Fill cabbage leaves with meat-peanut mixture, roll and place in baking dish, seam side down.
Cozy and snug.
Because I’m lazy…
I just added the spices to the sauce in the jar, give a little stir and pour over the top.
No sense in dirtying another dish, right?
Thai Beef Cabbage Roll Bake
Adapted from Alea’s Cabbage Rolls with Turkey and Brown Rice 
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 25 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil ($.25)
- 1 tsp garlic cloves, minced ($.05)
- 1 onion, chopped ($.20)
- 3/4 lb ground beef, browned ($1.49)
- 2 tsp ground ginger ($.20)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar ($.02)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice ($.10)
- up to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper ($.03) (depending on how spicy you like things!)
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped ($.25)
- 1 small cabbage, 12 large leaves gently removed ($1.19)
- 1 8 oz. tomato sauce ($.29)
- 1 tsp ground ginger, garlic powder, each ($.10)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- Bread or brown rice ($.40-$.75)
- Blanche the cabbage leaves. Place 2 or 3 leaves at a time in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes. Then remove carefully with tongs and plunge into cold water.
- In a large skillet, add the sesame oil with the garlic, onions, ground beef, ground ginger, brown sugar, lime juice and crushed red pepper. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes, to allow flavors to mingle. (Or cook until meat has browned, if starting with raw beef.)
- Stir in the chopped peanuts.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make the rolls, pat dry the cabbage leaves and cut out the hard stem. Spoon the meat mixture into the cabbage leaf and roll up. Place seam side down in a glass baking dish. (I made 12 rolls in 2 small baking dishes…I could have/should have made them into 1 9×13 baking dish.)
- Make up all the rolls. Then mix together tomato sauce with the ginger, garlic powder, salt and crushed red pepper. Pour it over all the rolls.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve Thai Beef Cabbage Rolls with bread or brown rice.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/thai-beef-cabbage-roll-bake-5-dinner-challenge/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Alea’s Cabbage Rolls: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/02/aleas-cabbage-rolls-turkey-brown-rice.html
 purchased at great prices: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2012/01/this-weeks-shopping-adventures-the-multiple-store-edition.html
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.