A few notes about this lovely meal.
- These were SO GOOD, but they were super crumbly…from the beans…so I would add an egg to hold the burgers together.
- The cilantro and lettuce are from the garden.
- The bread…because I had no buns in the house. And ran out of time to make them from scratch.
- The salsa is homemade from last year’s garden. (Canned, of course.)
- The salad dressing is homemade Cilantro Lime Dressing – 1/4 cup canola oil, 3 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Used a few spoonfuls.
- The boys ate these with ketchup, not salsa. They eat ketchup with just about everything. If this continues on into adulthood, they might need to attend a Ketchups Anonymous meeting.
And now I leave you with the burger recipe. Including the egg that I did not use, but the recipe needs.
1/2 yellow onion ($.15)
2 garlic cloves ($.10)
1.4 lb ground beef ($2.07)
2 cups cooked pinto beans, mashed ($.40) Substitute 15 ounce can, drained
2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning ($.10)
(1 egg ($.10))
Few spoonfuls homemade or store bought salsa ($.25)
8 slices bread, or 4 buns ($.60)
Lettuce from garden
Cilantro from garden
Cherry tomatoes, halved ($.75)
Cilantro Lime Dressing ($.25)
Cut an onion in half and pull off 2 garlic cloves.
Peel back the flaky onion layer. I like to use the “root” end to hold onto while grating the onion.
Place the ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add the crushed garlic and grate the onion.
Add the mashed pinto beans and taco seasoning mix. (Add the egg here.) Combine and form into 6 patties.
Grill the patties, until cooked through. Serve on buns with a spoonful or two of salsa on top.
Prepare dressing and salad.
Serve Taco Burgers, topped with salsa, with Garden Salad and Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!