- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
How to Cook a Sweet Potato
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On April 28, 2009 @ 5:45 pm In How To,Recipes | 34 Comments
Tonight the guys had fish sticks (I know!), mashed sweet potatoes and corn. I didn’t have any trouble preparing the veggies, but just couldn’t handle the meat! Since Hubs gets home late on Tuesdays and couldn’t help with the meal, I had to get out the fish sticks!
I did want to share with you what I did with my sweet potatoes. I bought these when they were on sale during the Easter week for $.49/lb! I will have a few portions of inexpensive veggies for our meals!
This is my favorite way to prepare them as I find that cooking them this way brings out more “sweetness” and candy flavor than roasting or microwaving. We eat them plain too and they are plenty tasty!
If you have a baby or young toddler who still eats softer foods, this is also a great way to prepare sweet potatoes for little mouths!
How to Cook a Sweet Potato
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 – 1 cup water (depending on the size of your dish)
- Optional: butter, cinnamon, and ginger
- Place sweet potatoes into baking dish. Slit each sweet potato with knife.
- Add about 1/4 inch of water to the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- When each sweet potato is soft, remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before handling.
- Squeeze the ends and get the skin to come apart. Skin will be very soft and will come apart from the sweet potato flesh.
- Scoop out flesh and mash.
- If you like, add a little butter, cinnamon and ginger and mix in.
- Mash it up and enjoy!
- Place in meal size portions in plastic containers or plastic freezer baggies. Freeze if you don’t plan to eat them all right away!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/sweet-potato-how-to/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Slow Cooker Maple Chicken with Sweet Potatoes: http://www.5dollardinners.com/slow-cooker-maple-chicken/
 Slow Cooker Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry: http://www.onedishdinners.com/2011/10/slow-cooker-sweet-potato-and-chicken-curry.html
 Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas: http://www.5dollardinners.com/sweet-potato-black-bean-enchiladas-5-dinner-challenge/
 Slow Cooker Pork Chips with Sweet Potatoes & Apples: http://www.5dollardinners.com/slow-cooker-pork-chops-with-apples-sweet-potatoes/
 20 Meals from Costco for $150 Meal Plan: http://www.5dollardinners.com/store-2/
 Sweet Potato Zucchini Frittata: http://www.5dollardinners.com/sweet-potato-zucchini-frittata/
 Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Slow Cooker: http://www.5dollardinners.com/slow-cooker-mashed-sweet-potatoes/
 Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Mango-Black Bean Salsa: http://www.5dollardinners.com/stuffed-sweet-potatoes-with-mango-black-bean-salsa-5-dinner-challenge/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.