Tonight the guys had fish sticks (I know!), mashed sweet potatoes and corn. I didn’t have any trouble preparing the veggies, but just couldn’t handle the meat! Since Hubs gets home late on Tuesdays and couldn’t help with the meal, I had to get out the fish sticks!
I did want to share with you what I did with my sweet potatoes. I bought these when they were on sale during the Easter week for $.49/lb! I will have a few portions of inexpensive veggies for our meals!
This is my favorite way to prepare them as I find that cooking them this way brings out more “sweetness” and candy flavor than roasting or microwaving. We eat them plain too and they are plenty tasty!
If you have a baby or young toddler who still eats softer foods, this is also a great way to prepare sweet potatoes for little mouths!
How to Cook a Sweet Potato
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 – 1 cup water (depending on the size of your dish)
- Optional: butter, cinnamon, and ginger
- Place sweet potatoes into baking dish. Slit each sweet potato with knife.
- Add about 1/4 inch of water to the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- When each sweet potato is soft, remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before handling.
- Squeeze the ends and get the skin to come apart. Skin will be very soft and will come apart from the sweet potato flesh.
- Scoop out flesh and mash.
- If you like, add a little butter, cinnamon and ginger and mix in.
Place in meal size portions in plastic containers or plastic freezer baggies. Freeze if you don’t plan to eat them all right away!