The perfectly cooked sweet potato is the “steam-baked” sweet potato! 😋 Add slits to sweet potatoes, nestle snugly in glass baking dish, add 1/4″ water, cover tightly with foil, bake at 350 for about an hour. Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of the tater! Link in profile… http://www.5dollardinners.com/sweet-potato-how-to/
Tonight the guys had fish sticks (I know!), mashed sweet potatoes and corn. I didn’t have any trouble preparing the veggies, but just couldn’t handle the meat! (Note: This is an old post and I was pregnant when I wrote it and couldn’t handle meats well!) Since Hubs gets home late on Tuesdays and couldn’t help with the meal, I had to get out the fish sticks!
I bought these when they were on sale during the Easter week for $.49/lb! I will have a few portions of inexpensive veggies for our meals, yay!
This is my favorite way to prepare them as I find that cooking them this way brings out more “sweetness” and candy flavor than simply roasting or microwaving. We eat them plain too and they are plenty tasty!
If you have a baby or young toddler who still eats softer foods, this is also a great way to prepare sweet potatoes for little mouths!
Favorite Sweet Potato Recipes
- Slow Cooker Maple Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Pork Chips with Sweet Potatoes & Apples (part of our 20 Meals from Costco for $150 Meal Plan!)
- Sweet Potato Zucchini Frittata
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Slow Cooker
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Mango-Black Bean Salsa
How to Cook a Sweet Potato
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 – 1 cup water (depending on the size of your dish)
- Optional: butter, cinnamon, and ginger
- I call this “steam-baking.” Place sweet potatoes into baking dish. Slit each sweet potato with knife.
- Add about 1/4 inch of water to the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- When each sweet potato is soft, remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before handling.
- Squeeze the ends and get the skin to come apart. Skin will be very soft and will come apart from the sweet potato flesh.
- Scoop out flesh and mash.
- If you like, add a little butter, cinnamon and ginger and mix in.
- Mash it up and enjoy!
- Place in meal size portions in plastic containers or plastic freezer baggies. Freeze if you don’t plan to eat them all right away!