Tonight the guys had fish sticks (I know!), mashed sweet potatoes and corn. I didn’t have any trouble preparing the veggies, but just couldn’t handle the meat! Since Hubs gets home late on Tuesdays and couldn’t help with the meal, I had to get out the fish sticks!
I did want to share with you what I did with my sweet potatoes. I bought these when they were on sale during the Easter week for $.49/lb! I will have a few portions of inexpensive veggies for our meals!
This is my favorite way to prepare them as I find that cooking them this way brings out more “sweetness” and candy flavor than roasting or microwaving. We eat them plain too and they are plenty tasty!
If you have a baby or young toddler who still eats softer foods, this is also a great way to prepare sweet potatoes for little mouths!
Favorite Sweet Potato Recipes
- Slow Cooker Maple Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Pork Chips with Sweet Potatoes & Apples (part of our 20 Meals from Costco for $150 Meal Plan!)
- Sweet Potato Zucchini Frittata
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Slow Cooker
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Mango-Black Bean Salsa
How to Cook a Sweet Potato
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 – 1 cup water (depending on the size of your dish)
- Optional: butter, cinnamon, and ginger
- Place sweet potatoes into baking dish. Slit each sweet potato with knife.
- Add about 1/4 inch of water to the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- When each sweet potato is soft, remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before handling.
- Squeeze the ends and get the skin to come apart. Skin will be very soft and will come apart from the sweet potato flesh.
- Scoop out flesh and mash.
- If you like, add a little butter, cinnamon and ginger and mix in.
- Mash it up and enjoy!
- Place in meal size portions in plastic containers or plastic freezer baggies. Freeze if you don’t plan to eat them all right away!