Despite all my meal planning efforts, today was one of those days where it was 5 pm and I hadn’t set foot in the kitchen to start making dinner (we usually eat at 5:30). We all have “one of those days” and today was mine! But, thankfully we didn’t resort to eating out, because I did have a plan and the ingredients I needed to make tonight’s meal.
Sweet and Sour Sauce adapted from Betty Crocker Cookbook
1 lb pork cut into cubes ($1.99)
2 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
3 Tbsp honey ($.25) Recipe called for 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp worstershire sauce ($.05) I recommend 1 Tbsp soy sauce, but we can’t have soy.
1 Tbsp cornstarch ($.01)
1 orange ($.25) Recipe called for 1 8 oz can crushed pinapple. I didn’t have any, so I finely cut and orange and used it’s “juices” as well. Worked fine!
1/3 cup white viengar ($.15)
1/4 green pepper ($.25) I had just enough left to use for this sauce from the Rice and Beans and the Salad
1 cup rice ($.20)
2 large broccoli heads ($.75)
1. In skillet, cook pork cubes in 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. In saucepan, cook 1 cup rice in 2 1/4 cup water. Bring water to boil. Add rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes.
3. In smaller saucepan or skillet, prepare sweet and sour sauce. Mix honey and cornstarch in saucepan. Add juices from orange + about 1/4 cup water. Stir. Add vinegar and worcestershire (or soy) sauce. Stir in orange pieces and chopped green peppers. Add sauce to cooked pork and let simmer about 10-12 minutes for flavors to infuse into the pork. (I added the sauce when the pork was still a bit pink and let it finish cooking in the sauce.)
4. Steam broccoli in steamer or microwave.
5. Serve sweet and sour pork over rice with side of broccoli.