- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 15, 2009 @ 5:16 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Garden,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice | 12 Comments
I had every intention of serving this over brown rice. But I got a little distracted by the Balloon Boy story this afternoon (so glad he was found…but boy I wasted a bunch of “what if that was my kid” emotional energy because of the whole ordeal). By the time I realized that the dinner hour was fast approaching, it was too late to get the brown rice going! So white rice it is.
I also had good intentions of doubling it to freeze, but since we are still without a deep freezer, I opted to not double this meal up.
1.38 lb chicken breast, diced ($2.06) On sale this week at Dots for $1.49/lb!
2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil ($.10)
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper (free from the garden…this was the last of my peppers from the garden!)
1 clove garlic, minced ($.05)
1 tablespoon corn starch ($.05)
1/4 cup soy sauce ($.25) (GF meal if soy sauce is GF!)
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, with juice ($.79)
1 Tbsp vinegar ($.05)
1 Tbsp brown sugar ($.05)
1/2 tsp ground ginger ($.05)
1 cup rice ($.20)
1 12 oz. bag frozen corn ($.49) On sale this week, plus promotion and used $1 coupon!
**Buy generic/store brand soy sauce since there are rarely soy sauce coupons!
1. In large skillet over medium high heat, brown the diced chicken pieces in oil.
2. Add diced green bell pepper and garlic and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. In small bowl, whisk together corn starch and soy sauce, then pour the mixture into skillet along with the pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, and ginger. Stir together and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired consistency/thickness.
4. In medium saucepan, cook 1 cup of rice with 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil. Add rice, stir and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with fork before serving.
5. Cook frozen corn as directed on package instructions.
6. Serve Sweet and Sour Chicken over Rice with Corn.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/sweet-and-sour-chicken/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 meal comes from Carrie over at Carrie’s Cooking: http://www.carriescooking.com/2007/09/sweet-and-sour-chicken.html
 Pumpkin Soft Pretzels : http://www.carriescooking.com/2009/10/homemade-pumpkin-soft-pretzels.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.