A most delicious pasta dish!
1 lb. spaghetti noodles ($.97) Use rice noodles for a gluten free meal!
1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
4 cloves garlic ($.15)
2 Tbsp olive oil ($.20)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar ($.10)
1 yellow summer squash (free from the garden)
1 small zucchini ($.50) On sale for $.88/lb last week
3 stems of cherry tomatoes (free from the garden)
Handful of fresh basil leaves (free from the garden)
Handful of fresh parsley leaves (free from the garden)
3 chicken breasts ($2.03) Used $1 coupon when on sale for $1.99/lb! This same “$1 off Tyson fresh chicken” coupon was also in this week’s newspaper insert!
4 slices of French bread ($.50)
2 Tbsp margarine ($.10)
Garlic salt (free!) Used $.50 coupon, doubled, when on sale for $1
Optional: Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp of parmesan cheese on each serving!
1. In medium saucepan, cook pasta noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cool water (if you wish to serve this chilled!…although it can be served warm or cold.) Drizzle with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil once chilled.
2. Meanwhile, saute garlic in olive oil and red wine vinegar until garlic begins to golden (about 1-2 minutes). Add a few dashes of salt and pepper too.
3. Dice the yellow summer squash and the zucchini and saute for 2-3 minutes.
4. Chop and add fresh basil and parsley to the skillet. Saute with squash for 2-3 minutes.
5. Slice each cherry tomato in half. Toss into the skillet and saute for about 1 minute….or until…
6. Once the tomatos skin has STARTED to peel away, they will be ready! Remove from heat immediately.
7. Toss cooked noodles with olive oil (as mentioned in #1). Add sauteed vegetables and toss.
8. Chill the summer squash pasta salad for at least 2 hours in the fridge, if you wish to eat it chilled. Toss in parmesan cheese if you wish, or add to each individual serving.
9. Grill chicken breasts for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle.
10. Prepare french loaf with butter and garlic salt and toast in the oven for 10 minutes, or until butter melts.
11. Serve Summer Squash Pasta with Grilled Chicken Breast and Garlic Bread.