- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Stuffing Meatloaf – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On February 27, 2012 @ 5:55 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beef,Kitchen Shortcut,Recipes | 14 Comments
In my clear out the pantry, cupboards and freezer efforts, I ran across a half used bag of herb seasoned stuffing. Must have been leftover from the holidays.
(Side note – I highly recommend spending 4-6 weeks each year, doing a “pretend like you are moving” clean out of your pantry and freezer. Highly. Recommend.)
Every so often this bag of half used stuffing would give me a gentle reminder that it needed to be used. Once it almost fell off the shelf, whcih would have been a terrible mess! I’ve brushed past it a number of times and it kept saying…”I want you to eat me. Soon.”
Well, soon is now.
I decided to use it in place of bread crumbs in meatloaf. I had the perfect package of ground chuck, bought on Manager’s Special.
(Note: I ended up cooking this in 9×13 glass baking dish, because I ran out of time. It cooks faster in a flat baking dish (45 min)…you could certainly make this into 2 9×5 loaf pans…just up the time by 25-30 minutes to be sure it cooks all the way through.)
Yield – 6 to 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 45 to 50 minutes
- 2 cups stuffing ($.75)
- about 2 lbs. ground chuck ($3.55)
- 2 eggs ($.20)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar ($.05)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning ($.05)
- 1 tsp salt
- Couple dashes of pepper
- Ketchup ($.10)
- Bread/veggies ($1.50)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, crush the stuffing using potato masher. (You could grind in a food processor or blender. I didn’t because I didn’t want to dirty another dish.)
- Add the ground beef, eggs, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Press the meat mixture into a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 -50 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve Stuffing Meatloaf with bread and butter, and favorite veggie.
Cost $6.20 (with lots of meatloaf leftover!)
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/stuffing-meatloaf-5-dinner-challenge/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.