Years ago when we had our oldest on a gluten free diet, I quickly learned that the best way to do that diet on a budget is to avoid gluten all together. And bake sparingly, and from scratch. I learned to base our meals around sweet potatoes, potatoes and brown rice. Adding in brown rice pasta, as our budget allowed. At the moment, we have 1 kid off dairy and soy, another kid off gluten and soy…so I find myself again going back to this rule for making dinner for less with food allergies.
A few weeks back, I was thinking about stuffed potatoes…specifically stuffed sweet potatoes. I figured you could “curry them up” somehow. But I wanted something beyond that. I went searching, and came across this Stuffed Sweet Potato with Mango-Black Bean salsa,  that was apparently featured in a Food Network magazine. Sounded great…and totally doable under $5 too!
I had some sweet potatoes leftover from Easter week (super sale!), and already had a can of black beans on hand. Add in cheap mango and green peppers from Aldi and we’ve got a super inexpensive, filling and perfectly sweet dinner!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Mango-Black Bean Salsa
Adapted from:Food Network Magazine
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 4-6 medium-large sweet potatoes ($1.58)
- 2 medium mangoes ($1.98)
- Can black beans, drained and rinsed ($.59) (Or learn how to cook your own beans here.) 
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped ($.50)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped ($.20)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice ($.05)
- 1 tsp ground cumin ($.05)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon ($.02)
- Pinch or two of salt
- Butter, optional
- Steam bake  the sweet potatoes. Let cool a few minutes, before opening and smashing.
- Prepare the mango-black bean salsa. Cut the mango , and toss into a mixing bowl. Mix in the drained black beans, green peppers and chopped red onion. Sprinkle the lime juice, cumin, cinnamon and salt over top and toss gently.
- Once the sweet potatoes are smashed and ready, add butter if you like, and then top with the mango-black bean salsa.
- Serve Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Mango-Black Bean Salsa as is, or with a side of bread or veggies.