I came across these funky little vegetables called “Q Balls”. They are a small round zucchini-like vegetable. And it seemed only fitting to scoop out the seeds and stuff them! I combined the leftover beef and zucchini mixture with some bread, seasonings, cheese (for the adults) and stuffed. And then baked!
Stuffed “Q Balls”
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 4 “Q Balls” or small zucchini ($2) From the farmer’s market $.50 each…more details on that adventure next week!
- Leftover Beef and Zucchini mixture ($1.25)
- 2 heels from the bread loaf ($.05)
- 1 green tomato (from the garden) I thought this would give it a nice tangy taste!
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning ($.05)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ($.15)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese ($.20) On sale with Kroger mailer coupon!
- 2 large heads broccoli ($.74) On sale this week
- Leftover pasta from Tuesday ($.50)
- Cut off tops of “Q Balls” and scoop out the insides.
- Combine ground beef/zucchini mixture with bread cubes, diced green tomato, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese (omit if dairy free!). Stuff into “Q balls”. Over stuff, as it will shrink some when baking.
- Place in glass baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Add mozzarella cheese to the tops and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Steam broccoli in stove top steamer, or in microwavable bowl covered with plastic for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve Stuffed “Q Balls” with Steamed Broccoli and Pasta.