- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Stuffed Green Chile Chicken
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On August 18, 2010 @ 5:27 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Garden,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice | 2 Comments
So I grabbed some green chilies a few weeks ago when I was stocking up (and going over-budget, sigh!)…and I had plans to make a green chile chicken in the slow cooker…but decided to pound out the chicken and roll it around the green chilies instead. I paired this with brown rice, corn kernels and green onions…plus some green beans from the garden.
I’m glad I changed my mind because this was terrific! We all loved it. I did have to push some of the green chilies to the side on the boys’ plates…because they were too spicy. I wish we’d have had 2 more ingredients though…I think it would have been perfect to mix fresh chopped cilantro in with the green chilies, and I would have loved to give Steve a dollop of sour cream on his plate to dip the green chile chicken bites.
Or if so many of us weren’t dairy-free, I would have mixed the green chilies with some sour cream before “stuffing.” If anyone tries that, let us know how it turns out!
1 cup brown rice ($.40)
2 corn cobs ($.30)
3 green onions ($.20)
Salt and pepper
1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
1 tsp ground cumin ($.05)
About 1/2 tsp salt and pepper each
3 chicken breasts ($3.04)
1 4 oz. can green chilies ($.59)
1/4-1 cup cheese, mexican blend or other variety ($.25-$1)
Green Beans from the garden
1. Start cooking brown rice as directed on the package. Then shave off the kernels from 2 corn cobs (2 cups frozen or canned corn works too), and slice 3 green onions. After the brown rice has been cooking for 20 minutes, slide these goodies in with some salt and pepper and let finish cooking over low heat. Fluff with fork before serving.
2. Set up your spice plate. Lightly toss the garlic powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Spread out in a thin layer on a plate or shallow dish.
3. Pound out 3 large chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer or other pounding tool.
4. Place smooth side of the thinned out chicken breast onto the spices. Add some green chilies (and some cheese if you so desire), and roll up. Place in baking dish. Top with any remaining green chiles and/or cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes, or until chicken has cooked through and through. Let cool slightly before serving.
6. Wash and cut stems from the green beans. Steam or saute.
7. Serve Stuffed Green Chile Chicken with Corn-y Brown Rice and Green Beans.
Cost $4.88 – $5.63, depending on amount of cheese
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/stuffed-green-chile-chicken/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.