- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Spicy Mexican Omelet
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On April 6, 2011 @ 6:49 pm In Breakfast,Eggs,Recipes | 2 Comments
I’m often asked during news interviews and radio interviews…”Is this really possible to do this $5 Dinners thing?”
And my typical reply is… “Of course, a key part of this whole frugal cooking business is being creative with the ingredients that you get on sale, or even discounted, from the grocery store. If you score a fabulous deal on butternut squash and you don’t know what to do with it, then you’ll waste that money. My hope is to help and equip other home cooks to think outside their normal cooking routines and popular family meals.”
And this is exactly what happened after my recent shopping trip to Jungle Jim’s . I found some super inexpensive red and yellow peppers ($.75 each), 2 boxes with oodles of jalapenos and a giant bunch of cilantro for $.60….and I had to use them up! I couldn’t let any of this delicious marked down produce go to waste, so I used as much up as I could that night!
By making these super scrumptious Spicy Mexican Omelets…
(Read my recent interview with AOL’s Kitchen Daily !)
*Note: I did mix up some of the peppers without the jalapenos to make the kids’ version of the omelet. I didn’t want to risk making theirs too “hot” and them not eating it.
Remove jalapeno seeds if you can’t handle the heat. Keep the seeds if you want the spice!
Toss peppers, jalapeno and cilantro.
Whisk up the eggs, milk and salt and pepper.
Pour into an omelet skillet that is hot with oil.
Using plastic spatula, move some of the eggs that have set to the side and tilt the omelet pan so that the uncooked eggs run onto the skillet to cook faster.
Once the eggs have mostly cooked through, add the pepper mixture.
Top with shredded cheese and let cook 30 seconds or so. Fold over the omelet.
Let the cheese melt.
Slide the omelet onto serving plate.
Repeat until there’s an omelet (or two) for everyone.
Have another. And enjoy it too!
Spicy Mexican Omelet
- 1 red pepper ($.75)
- 1 yellow pepper ($.75)
- 1 jalapeno ($.05)
- Couple sprigs cilantro ($.05)
- 8 eggs (or 2-3 per omelet, depending on how big the omelet you want to make) ($.80)
- 1/4 cup milk ($.05)
- Salt and pepper
- Canola or vegetable oil for the skillet, about 1 Tbsp for each omelet ($.10)
- 1-2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese ($.67-$1.25)
- Fresh fruit, side ($.75-$1)
- Seed and dice the red pepper, yellow pepper and jalapeno. Chop the fresh cilantro sprigs and remove the stems.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with a few dashes of salt and pepper.
- Add about 1 Tbsp oil to an 8″ omelet skillet . Heat the oil over medium high heat. (I set my dial to about 7.5 out of 9.) Once the oil is hot, pour in the egg mixture and let cook for about 2 minutes, or until the set. Using plastic spatula, move some of the eggs that have set to the side and tilt the omelet pan so that the uncooked eggs run onto the skillet to cook faster. Once the eggs have mostly cooked through, add the pepper mixture.
- Top with shredded cheese and let cook 30 seconds or so. Fold over the omelet. Let the cheese melt. Slide the omelet onto serving plate.
- Prepare fresh fruit as side dish.
- Serve Spicy Mexican Omelets with fresh fruit.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/spicy-mexican-omelet/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 recent shopping trip to Jungle Jim’s: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/03/jungle-jimshopping-trip.html
 my recent interview with AOL’s Kitchen Daily: http://www.kitchendaily.com/2011/03/31/the-5-dinner-mom-a-qanda-with-erin-chase/
 8″ omelet skillet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008CM6A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=5din-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00008CM6A
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.