- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Spiced Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On June 22, 2011 @ 6:00 pm In Dessert | 2 Comments
So I actually made this pie last week, before our weekend berry picking adventure.
And I’m tempted to make it again with the berries that I froze “fresh from the farm.”
For this, I cheated and used 2 pre-made pie crusts that I’ve had in the freezer since the holidays. And I say cheated, because I much prefer to use my own…but in a moment of weakness busyness over the holidays, I grabbed a few packages and didn’t end up using them. So now I figured, I better not let them go to waste and just use them up. And enjoy the convenience!
(Note: If you freeze the store bought crusts, just set them out on the counter a few hours before you need to use them and let them come up to room temp before unrolling.)
I even made a pretty lattice top. (Photo instructions here .)
It all baked down to ooey-gooey sweet-tart perfection! Don’t worry if your pie seems kinda “tall” when you put it in the oven…it will shrink down as it bakes!
And also, I recommend baking this with the pie plate on a foil lined cookie sheet. It can make for a bubbly mess in the bottom of your oven if you don’t!
Spiced Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 1 hour
- 2 store bought crusts, or 1 homemade crust (doubled) 
- 3 cups strawberries (about 1 lb.), halved
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk, to brush on top
- Preheat the oven to 350, and lightly grease a pie plate with cooking spray.
- Make the crust/roll out the crust on a lightly floured surface. Place into the pie plate.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the pie plate. Make a lattice top  over the strawberry mixture and pinch the edges together well.
- Mix the egg yolk with 1 Tbsp water in a small mixing bowl and brush on top of the lattice and edges of the pie crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven (on a foiled lined baking sheet) for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream, or cold (for breakfast!). Yes, it’s OK to eat this for breakfast!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/spiced-strawberry-rhubarb-pie/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Photo instructions here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/05/strawberry-rhubarb-mania.html
 1 homemade crust (doubled): http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/11/almond-pecan-pie.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.