When Steve and I lived in the Dominican Republic, one of our favorite side dishes was smothered okra. I would go into the fruit and veggie market and get a pound of fresh okra. I’d grab some peppers and an onion, then I’d probably pay $1 for it all…maybe $1.25, and I’d be on my way.
Eddy was my market man…and he always gave me a great deal! Nothing had prices on it, but I knew he was giving me
(While there are a number of things that I miss about our days in the Dominican Republic…our friends, our church, the simplicity of life, the slower pace…I especially miss the insanely cheap prices on fresh fruit and vegetables.
Insane-ly. Insane-ly. Cheap.
(I often wonder if I still lived there, if I could make all these $5 Dinners for just $3 or $4 with the cheaper produce prices!)
Once I got home, I’d rinse and start chopping…sauteing the vegetables with some canned tomatoes for a delicious smothered okra side dish.
And here I’ve turned this side dish favorite into a full meal…
Let’s get to it, shall we?!
Saute the chicken pieces in olive oil with some salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
Toss in a bag of frozen okra.
Then a bag of mixed peppers.
(Add them frozen, no need to thaw.)
Add can of Rotel.
Mix and toss. Cooked a few more minutes, until the veggies begin to thaw.
Add a few drops of Tabasco. Or a lotta drops of Tabasco.
Whatever kind of heat you like.
Cover and bake. Serve over brown rice.
Smothered Okra with Chicken and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups white rice ($.30)
- 1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs ($2.98)
- Couple dashes Cajun seasoning ($.05)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bag frozen okra ($.68)
- 1 bag frozen pepper blend ($.68)
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel ($.16)
- Couple drops Tabasco ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the white rice (or brown rice will work too) according to package instructions.
- Saute the chicken pieces in olive oil with some Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Add the okra and pepper blends, then add the Rotel. Mix up and add in some drops of Tabasco.
- Once the veggies have thawed, cover and move the dutch oven to the oven.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Serve Smothered Okra and Chicken with juices over the brown rice.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!