Thanks so much to Melissa Earl from Living a Frugal Life for sharing this great recipe with us. I’m still on “leave,” enjoying my time with new baby and settling into life as a family of 6. I’m so grateful for the help and support of my fellow bloggers during this time! ~Erin
Crock pot recipes are great ways to stretch your budget but still be able to have a great tasting meal. And as a bonus you get to save tons of time and make it seem like you spent long hours in the kitchen.
This chicken recipe is especially nice because it is very versatile and you can make a large batch and freeze 1/2 of it so you can have 2 meals out of 1!
Slow Cooker Saucy Chicken and Rice
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 4.5 – 5.5 hours in slow cooker
- 3 Cups Sliced Carrots
- 2 Cups Chopped Onions
- 6 Chicken Breasts, halved
- 2 cans of Cream of Chicken, mushroom or celery soup
- 1 Envelope Onion Soup Mix
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. Dried Tarragon
- 2 TBS Corn Starch
- 1 can (15oz) of Chicken Broth
- In a bowl combine Cream Soup Cans, Onion Soup Mix, Dried Thyme, Pepper, and Dried Tarragon in a large bowl.
- Add carrots and onions to the bowl and mix.
- Put chicken into slow cooker and pour mixture over the top. Use a rubber scraper to get it all off the sides and into the slow cooker.
- Let mixture and chicken cook for 4-5 hours on high.
- Mix corn starch into chicken broth and stir it into slow cooker mixture.
- Cover back up and cook for 30 min.
- Serve over rice.
Melissa is the mother of 4 littles 6 and under. She loves to have good, healthy food for her family. She blogs at Living a Frugal Life about frugal recipes, frugal living, and having balanced contentment in your life. Strike up a conversation with her on Living a Frugal Life on facebook and share your favorite recipes too!