Last weekend I had a batch cooking day. I made large batches of rice and bean, chopped onions, peppers, and tomatoes, grated cheese, browned hamburger, and batch broiled chicken. Despite all of the cooking, I wasn’t actually assembling any dishes. I was just loading my freezer with prepped ingredients to make it easier to assemble dinners on busy nights.
I know from experience that the last thing I feel like doing at the end of a batch cooking day is cooking! So before I started working, I quickly pulled together the ingredients for Pork and Sauerkraut and put it all in the slow cooker. Pork and Sauerkraut is traditionally made with potatoes, but I love the contrast of sweet potatoes with sauerkraut.
You can use just about any cut of pork you wish in this recipe: pork chops , pork ribs, or pork roast cut into 4 ounce slices. I make my decision based on what is on sale.
Slow Cooker Pork Chops and Sauerkraut with Sweet Potatoes
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 6 – 7 hours
- 2 pounds pork chops
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounce jar sauerkraut (How to Make Sauerkraut )
- 1/2 cup water or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place pork chops in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic on top of the pork chops.
- Pour sauerkraut over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix water, sugar, ketchup, and spices. Pour over the top of the sauerkraut.
- Cook on high for 1 hour. Then cook on low for 5 – 6 hours.
If you are going to be out and won’t have an opportunity to switch from high to low, cook on low for 8 hours instead.