- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 24, 2011 @ 5:30 pm In chicken,Recipes,Slow Cooker | 20 Comments
This is me…being lazy.
I’ve been wanting to make some orange chicken for a while…recently had a conversation with a friend about it…and couldn’t put it off any longer. She shared a recipe with me and we decided that it would work with frozen vegetables too.
And the result was lovely fake-out take-out meal.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Inspired by Orange Chicken in a Crock Pot 
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs) ($2.82)
- 8 oz. OJ concentrate ($1.34)
- 1 12 oz. package stir-fry vegetable mix ($.80)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar ($.05)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger ($.10)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ($.05)
- 1-2 teaspoons corn starch ($.05)
- Noodles or brown rice ($.40 – $.50)
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces.
- In the base of the slow cooker, whisk together the OJ concentrate and the brown sugar, ginger, and garlic powder. Stir in the chicken pieces and vegetables into the sauce.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Just before serving, whisk in the cornstarch into the sauce. Let sit for 10 minutes with the slow cooker on warm.
- Prepare noodles and brown rice.
- Serve Slow Cooker Orange Chicken over the rice or noodles with crushed red pepper.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/slow-cooker-orange-chicken-recipe/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Orange Chicken in a Crock Pot: http://www.examiner.com/frugal-living-in-buffalo/orange-chicken-the-crockpot
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.