This was one of those meals that sorta came together and ended up “balancing” perfectly. I started out with chicken and pineapple in the slow cooker. Then as dinnertime drew closer, I decided that rice would be a nice complement, and found a side of the red cabbage apple slaw in the fridge! (How to Shred Cabbage here.)
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs ($2.27) On sale for $1/lb
- 6-8 slices canned pineapple, plus 1/2 cup of juice ($.75)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ($.02)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper ($.02)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup rice blend, or 1 1/2 cup rice ($.80)
- Red Cabbage Apple Slaw ($.75-ish)
- Place the chicken thighs in the base of the slow cooker. Top with the the pineapple slices and add some of the juice from the can into the slow cooker. Sprinkle the cinnamon and crushed red pepper over top.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Before dinner, cook the rice as directed on the package.
- Serve with side of vegetables. Any will do!