- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 31, 2011 @ 6:13 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,chicken,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice,Slow Cooker | 17 Comments
A simple variation of chicken and rice.
It’s simple to make. It calls for simple ingredients. And is simply delicious!
This is the last of the recipes that was on my “pantry challenge” list from December and January. And how fitting that I’m making it on the last day of January! I had the chicken thighs in the freezer and knew I wanted to use them in the slow cooker (because I don’t grill when it’s 20 degrees out!) While using a gumbo soup vegetable mix would have been more appropriate, I used a vegetable soup mix of frozen vegetables…that has also been hanging out in the freezer!
Add some Creole seasoning (and say BAM! while you’re at it!)…sorry, I had to!
Let it cook the day away and enjoy a no fuss meal at the end of the day!
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken
- 2.5 lb. chicken thighs ($2.49) On sale for $.99/lb
- Drizzles of olive oil ($.05)
- 1-2 Tbsp Creole seasoning ($.20)
- 1 bag vegetable soup frozen vegetables or gumbo soup mix ($.88)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes ($.15)
- 1 cup brown rice ($.40)
- Add the chicken thighs to the slow cooker. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top. Season with the Creole seasoning.
- Add the vegetables over top of the chicken. (Adding them while still frozen is fine!) Sprinkle a little more seasoning over top. Add a few dashes of salt and pepper as well.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- About 1 hour before dinner time, start cooking the brown rice. Cook according to package instructions. (If using instant brown rice, you’ll only need a few minutes!)
- Serve Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and veggies over brown rice.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/slow-cooker-creole-chicken-5-dinner-challenge/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.