- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Slow Cooker Cranberry-Apple Pork Roast
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On November 12, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In Dairy Free,Freezer Friendly,GFCFSF,Gluten Free,Pork,Recipes,Slow Cooker | 8 Comments
So pork tenderloins were on super sale last week. So I bought one…with the intention of cutting it in half to use for 2 meals. I’d originally thought I would make 2 different meals, but as I was mixing this recipe up…I was completely overcome with the smells of the cranberry sauce and the many holiday memories that came with it. I got out another apple and another can of cranberry sauce and dropped the other half with the mixture in the freezer. We’ll have it later this week…on one of our “busy afternoon days” when I just need dinner to be ready to go right at 6 pm.
This is super simple, using ingredients that are in “high season” right now. Please don’t pay more than $1 for a can of cranberry sauce. Or for a bag of fresh cranberries. Keep your eyes peeled, you’ll find the deals! Apple prices fluctuate wildly, depending on the week and the variety, but I stick to the less than $1/lb varieties.
(Sorry about the “at night” photograph here. Completely forgot about the time change last weekend…and that it’s not light in my kitchen when dinner is served!)
Note: Recipe written below is for “double portion” – half to eat, half to freeze.
Cranberry-Apple Orange Pork Roast
Yield – 4 servings x 2
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 1 large pork tenderloin, cut in half (about 2.5 lbs.) ($4.22)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 15 oz. cans whole cranberry sauce ($1.98)
- 3 medium apples, cored and diced ($1.25)
- 1 cup orange juice ($.50)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger ($.05)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ($.05)
- Side suggestion: Bread or rice
- Place half of the pork loin in the base of the slow cooker and the other half in a labeled plastic freezer baggie. Sprinkle both with salt and pepper.
- In mixing bowl, stir together the cranberry sauce, diced apples, orange juice and spices. Pour half over the pork in the slow cooker and the other half into the freezer baggie.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours. Serve with side of bread or rice.
- Freeze the other half, up to 6 months. To use, thaw in the fridge overnight and cook as directed. If partially frozen when you start the slow cooker, that’s OK, but you might want to add an hour or two to the cooking time.
Cost $8.05 (2 meals worth)
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/slow-cooker-cranberry-apple-pork-roast/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.