Slow cooker chili that takes less than 5 minutes to load, yes please. (Only because I had browned ground beef in the freezer.)
Homemade cornbread, baked in a cast iron skillet. Double yes please.
This has the makings of a perfect fall dinner. Warm, hearty and satisfying!
(Also, get more great cornbread recipes in Cindy’s That’s The Way The Cornbread Crumbles ebook.)
Slow Cooker Chili with Skillet Cornbread
Cornbread adapted from this Skillet Cornbread
Yield – 8 servings of chili & cornbread
Preparation Time – 5 minutes for the chili, about 10 for the cornbread
Cooking Time – 8 hours for the slow cooker, 15-20 minutes*
*Note: I used a 12″ skillet, so it didn’t take as long to cook my cornbread.
- 1 bag Hurst Slow Cooker Chili Beans and seasoning
- 1 lb cooked ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Skillet Cornbread recipe
- Side dish – fresh or frozen veggies
- Add all the ingredients to 5 qt or larger slow cooker, along with 7 cups of water. Stir together. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Prepare the skillet cornbread. Adjust cooking time if using a different sized skillet.
- Prepare the veggie as needed.
- Serve Slow Cooker Chili with side of cornbread and veggies.