- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On March 22, 2010 @ 5:16 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beans,Dairy Free,Recipes,Slow Cooker | 19 Comments
Jennifer is wife to Jason and mom to five-year-old Emma. She blogs at Saving and Giving  where she encourages people to save money and be generous.
1 pound dry black beans
1/2 pound diced ham
5 cups of water*
5 tsp. chicken bouillon*
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cornstarch
*You can substitute 5 c. of chicken broth for the water and bouillon.
1. Soak black beans overnight. Drain and rinse beans. Place in a pan, cover with water, and simmer on low for an hour. Drain beans again.
2. Place all ingredients except cornstarch in the slow cooker.
3. Cook on high for 4 hours. (Erin’s note here: From what I know about slow cooking beans, it won’t hurt to cook them longer…say if you’ll be at work all day. Cook them longer, then proceed with directions below.)
4. After 4 hours, use a slotted spoon to remove 1 cup of cooked beans and ham. Place them in a blender or food processor with a little bit of the broth. Puree, and return to the pot. Whisk pureed bean mixture into the broth.
5. Combine cornstarch with cold water in a small bowl. Mix. Add to the slow cooker. Mix with a whisk.
6. Let cook for an additional 30 minutes or until broth thickens a bit.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/slow-cooker-black-bean-soup/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Saving and Giving: http://www.savingandgiving.blogspot.com/
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.