I will make this again.
It was THAT GOOD!
If you like the balsamic flavor, this is a must try!
1 2.6 lb. beef roast ($5.10/2 = $2.55) Will use the other half of the meat for another meal!
2 onions, sliced ($.60)
4 garlic cloves, smooshed ($.20)
1/4-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar ($.50) If you’re a fan of the balsamic flavor, add 1/2 cup…or more!
Salt and pepper
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal ($.50)
1/2 cup flour ($.10)
1 Tbsp baking powder ($.05)
2 Tbsp sugar ($.05)
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp canola oil ($.10)
2 eggs ($.20)
1 cup milk ($.10) Use rice milk to stay dairy-free!
1 bag frozen green beans ($.50) On sale last week, matched with coupon!
1. In a large pot, sear or brown the beef roast on all sides in a little olive oil.
2. Slice onions into strips. Smoosh garlic clove with flat part of the knife. Is that a technical cooking term, smoosh?!?
3. Place seared roast into slow cooker with the oil that it was seared in. Season with salt and pepper. Add sliced onions and smooshed garlic around the roast. Sprinkle about 1/4-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar into the slow cooker.
4. Cook on low for 8 hours.
5. In mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, powder and salt. Whisk in the oil, eggs and milk until batter forms. Pour into greased baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 16-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
6. Prepare green beans as directed on package.
7. Serve Slow Cooker Beef Roast with Balsamic Onions, Green Beans and Cornbread.
Cost $5.45…with leftover cornbread muffins!
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!