We interrupt this “Edible Holiday Gifts” week for a quick shopping update…
So, my shopping trips have been as sporadic as my shopping updates lately. I’ve not settled back into my normal “Monday noon” shopping routine. Variety of reasons, but I’m craving the routine again…but I won’t be back in it anytime soon.
And here’s why…
My Kroger store closed yesterday. And a new Kroger marketplace is opening just down the way. To be honest, I’m not really thrilled about the whole concept. And I wish there were another grocery store close by…but the nearest ones are 10-15-20 minutes drive. Why am I not thrilled? The new store is the largest Marketplace they have built yet (a Kroger Marketplace is like a Super Walmart…it sells furniture, towels, everything really.) and I don’t want to have to fish through all the extra stuff to get from one side of the store (produce) to the other (pharmacy needs). I imagine my shopping time will increase by quite a bit as well…but on the bright side, a little more exercise?!?
And I’m craving routine…and having to get used to a new store will take at least 8-12 weeks…learning where are my favorite products are, writing my grocery list in the order the products can be found in the store, etc. (Yes, I am “that Type A!”)
I don’t mean to come across as complaining…just not looking forward to the little extra stress this change will bring to my normally pleasant and simple shopping adventures.
The other reason I won’t be getting back into my regular shopping routine is…
I bought just about all I need for the rest of the month (minus milk and bananas!) yesterday. The closing store had a 50% off ALL perishable foods…produce, cheese, frozen food, etc. So I hit it hard and stocked up!
Charlie saying “hi,” in his goofy, silly way!
- 5 $2.49 Daiya mozzarella cheese (dairy-free, soy-free cheese for the kid’s pizza!)
- 2 $1.49 sliced vegan cheese (for the boy’s grilled cheese sandwiches!)
- 2 pints $2.49 coconut milk ice cream (special treat for the boys!)
- LOTS of $.50 bags frozen vegetables
- $.50 avocadoes
- I intentionally chose fruits and veggies that were not quite ripe so they would last a few weeks in the fridge.
- And the berries we don’t eat this week, I will freeze for smoothies.
- Summer sausage, ham, shrimp, lunchmeat (all of the beef, pork and chicken was gone by the time I got there…40 minutes after the sale started!)
Total spent at Kroger this week: $121…with only needing a few more $$ to spend each week on milk!
Thanks to Andrea at Savings Lifestyle and Marcy at Stretching a Buck for posting the best deals and coupon matchups at my stores each week! Find the coupon match-ups for your grocery store at The Frugal Map!