This recipe is part of the latest 21 Gluten Free Meals from Costco Plan .
Shepherd’s Pie is always a favorite around here…with a house full of boys, a ‘meat and potatoes’ meal will always be a hit! Because Shepherd’s Pie is a ‘time and dishes intensive recipe’ with making the mashed potatoes and browning the ground beef, then baking in another dish…I highly recommend doubling up on this one and eating one portion, and freezing the other! The recipe written below is for 2 9×13 inch baking dishes so you can do just that. (Unless you have a larger family and will plow through both pans!)
Couple notes about the recipe:
- I don’t usually peel gold potatoes. Because I’m lazy, or in a hurry. Feel free to peel them.
- I didn’t put exact amounts on the milk or butter, as everyone’s amount of potatoes will vary slightly, so just add milk & butter 1/4 cup at a time, until reaches desired consistency. Season to taste.
Hope you enjoy this Shepherd’s Pie as much as we do…
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Yield – 2 9×13 inch baking dishes
Preparation Time – 25 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 6 lbs. gold potatoes (peeling optional)
- Milk, add 1/4 cup at a time
- Butter, add 1/4 cup at a time
- Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- about 1 cup BBQ sauce, drizzled
- 6 cups frozen mixed veggies
- About 2 to 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan or stock pot for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain the water and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Mash and mix in the milk, butter and seasonings.
- While potatoes are boiling, brown the ground beef with some salt and pepper. Not too much because the potatoes will have salt as well. Drain and then sprinkle evenly into the 2 baking dishes. Drizzle about 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce (or ketchup!) over the meat in each baking dish.
- While the potatoes and meat are cooking, warm the frozen mixed vegetables in a saucepan, then drain well.
- Evenly divide and sprinkle the frozen veggies over the meat in each of the baking dishes.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over top of the vegetables and then sprinkle about 1 cup of shredded cheese on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve one pan warm.
- Let the other pan cool completely in the refrigerator before freezing. Cover with foil and freeze. To reheat, let thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat for about 1 hour, covered, in the oven at 350.