This is Grandpa’s special supper. He is from Alabama and taught me how to make this quick and easy meal. Nana and Grandpa live with us and this is our favorite food to eat together with all the children.
Southern Beans, Potatoes and Cornbread
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal ($ .88) (Cornbread)
- 1/4 t. baking powder ($ .04) (Cornbread)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil ($ .08) (Cornbread)
- 1 egg ($ .14) (Cornbread)
- Dash of salt ($ .03) (Cornbread)
- 1 and 1/2 c milk ( $ .27) (Cornbread)
- 5 pounds potatoes ($2.20)
- 2 cans black eyed peas (15.5 oz) ($1.13 each = $2.26)
- 2 cans pinto beans (15.5 oz) ($1.13 each = $2.26)
- Peel and cut potatoes. Fry in electric skillet (in a little oil) at 300 degrees for around 25 minutes.
- Mix together cornmeal, baking powder, vegetable oil, egg, milk and salt. Pour this into a greased 9″ cake pan. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Open cans of beans and peas. Warm these up separately.
- Serve potatoes, beans and peas with a slice of warm cornbread.