My 18 year old son created this recipe when there wasn’t much left in the pantry and fridge…those are always the best. It turned out great and is a favorite with my teens! It is easy to make and feeds a crowd. This recipe uses American cheese, however, shredded cheddar or mozzarella would work even better. But you can use whatever kind of cheese you have on hand. Enjoy!
Sharon’s Macaroni Casserole
Yield - 8 servings
Preparation Time - 5 minutes
Cooking Time - 32 minutes
- 2 (16 oz.) boxes of elbow macaroni ( .89 cents each) $1.78
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of celery (condensed soup) $1.29
- Around 3/4 cup bread crumbs $ .50
- Around 2 Tablespoons butter $ .25
- 6 Slices American Cheese $1.00
- Grease bottom and sides of an 8″ x 12″ pan with butter.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, around 12 minutes.
- Drain noodles, then return to pan.
- Pour cream of celery over noodles. Stir together.
- Lightly dust bottom of baking pan with bread crumbs. Then layer as follows: 1/2 the elbows; sprinkle bread crumbs; torn pieces of cheese (using 3 of the slices); Then put remainder of the noodles over this; sprinkle the rest of the bread crumbs; then top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.