- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Scallops with Herbed Tomato Sauce
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On September 1, 2009 @ 7:08 pm In Garden,Pasta,Recipes | 4 Comments
Nikki told me about a recipe in the August issue of the Rachael Ray magazine…Scallops and Herbed Raw Tomato Sauce . I took the idea of grilling the scallops, and then tossed it with a partially sauteed herb, tomato and olive oil sauce…and some pasta too! I had some “on sale” scallops in the freezer…and tomatoes from the garden, so this fancy dish could be made for less than $5!!!
12 oz. bag of frozen scallops ($2.99) On sale!
1-2 tsp olive oil, to brush on scallops ($.05)
Salt/Pepper, to sprinkle on scallops
1/4 cup olive oil ($.40)
1/2 cup fresh chopped herbs – basil, mint, rosemary and parsley (from the garden)
2 cups cherry tomatoes (from the garden)
1 lb. mini penne pasta ($.50) I’ll share tomorrow about the AMAZING pasta deal I happened upon at Kroger this week!
4 corn cobs ($.68) On sale $.17 an ear!
1. Thaw, rinse and pat dry the scallops. Place on skewers and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Grilling time may vary depending on size of scallops. My scallops were really small. Larger scallops will take longer to cook through.
2. In medium saucepan, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and then toss with below sauce.
3. In large skillet, add 1/4 cup olive oil with fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and halved cherry tomatoes. Saute for 3-5 minutes, or until tomato skins start to peel away. Remove from heat. Note: If you don’t want to grill the scallops, then saute them first in the olive oil with the fresh herbs, then add the tomatoes.
4. Toss pasta, grilled scallops, and herbed tomato sauce.
4. Cook corn cobs in boiling water for 4-5 minutes, or in a microwavable dish covered with plastic wrap for 2-2.5 minutes per ear.
5. Serve Scallops with Herbed Tomato Pasta and Corn Cobs.
Cost $4.62 Plus, there is enough leftovers for all of us to have for lunch!
Last night I shared some ideas for how to get a healthy dinner on the table FAST on the Frugal Coast2Coast Blog Talk Radio Show with Jenn from Frugal Upstate and Lynnae from Being Frugal! If you’re interested in hearing about my latest kitchen disaster and how you can be absolved of all “I can’t believe I just fed my family that meal” guilt, then head on over to listen to the podcast !
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/scallops-with-herbed-tomato-sauce/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Scallops and Herbed Raw Tomato Sauce: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dinner-recipes/Scallops-with-Herbed-Raw-Tomato-Sauce
 listen to the podcast: http://budurl.com/qxxw
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.