So this isn’t pumpkin…but it’s close!
We’ve been enjoying lots of butternut squash lately, after buying some at Kroger, then more at Aldi the next week for just $.59 each!
We’ve had this…a beef stew with butternut (recipe coming Monday on One Dish Dinners!)…and I made the same beef stew mix for the guys to enjoy while I’m out of town this week.
(And sorry about the lighting…it was already dark. And dark outside kitchen light does not bode well when photographing food! This is a peek inside the slow cooker, minutes after I took off the lid to serve dinner.)
(And I should add…I had grandiose plans for all the acorn squash that I had growing my little garden. That is, until the squirrels ate them. Sigh.)
Savory Slow Cooker Chicken and Butternut Squash
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 3 small chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 lb.) ($2.50)
- 2 tsps red wine vinegar ($.05)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 bag baby carrots, or 4-5 peeled carrots sticks ($.67)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced ($.59)
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings ($.10)
- Whole wheat dinner rolls or toast with butter ($.75)
- Place the chicken breasts in the base of the slow cooker and splash the vinegar over the top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the baby carrots and butternut squash around and on top of the chicken. Season with the Italian seasonings and more salt and pepper if you like.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Prepare bread or toast.
- Serve Savory Slow Cooker Chicken and Butternut Squash with carrots and toast.
If you’d like to learn more about Square Foot Gardening, please check out the Square Foot Gardening books by Mel Bartholemew.
Do you have a recipe that uses Butternut, Acorn Squash or Pumpkin that you’d like to share this week?! Link ‘er up!