- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Split Pea Sausage Soup – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On December 6, 2010 @ 5:40 pm In Dairy Free,Pork,Potatoes,Recipes,Soup | 14 Comments
My quest to create a little breathing room in the pantry and freezers continues…
Last night I made this amazing soup. I think Steve said how much he liked it at least 6 times. (Which definitely says something. He’s a quiet kind of guy. And for him to say that 6 times speaks volumes.)
I took split peas from my legumes container, sausage links from the freezer and some potatoes from the pantry…put it all together and voila…
Split Pea Sausage Soup
- 4 sausage links, about 3/4 lb. ($2.99)
- 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced ($.75) Recent sale…10 lbs for $1.99!
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped ($.15)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed ($.15) Find my favorite garlic press in my Holiday Gift Guide!
- 1 tsp parsley ($.05)
- 1 1/2 cup green split peas, about 1/2 lb. ($.50)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, store bought or homemade (free to $1)
- 2-3 cups of water, depending on how thick/thin you want the soup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box frozen spinach ($.58)
- Cut the sausage into small pieces and brown. Once browned, add the diced potatoes, chopped onion and crushed garlic to the sausage. Let saute for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until onions become opaque.
- Next add the seasonings, split peas, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 50 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Add more water if needed to reach desired thinness.)
- Cook the spinach as directed on the box.
- Serve Sausage and Split Pea Soup with a side of spinach.
Have you pre-ordered your copy  yet?!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/sausage-split-pea-soup/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 pre-ordered your copy: http://www.5dollardinners.com/breakfast-lunch-cookbook
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.