- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Split Pea Sausage Soup – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On December 6, 2010 @ 5:40 pm In Dairy Free,Potatoes,Recipes,Soup | 14 Comments
My quest to create a little breathing room in the pantry and freezers continues…
Last night I made this amazing soup. I think Steve said how much he liked it at least 6 times. (Which definitely says something. He’s a quiet kind of guy. And for him to say that 6 times speaks volumes.)
I took split peas from my legumes container, sausage links from the freezer and some potatoes from the pantry…put it all together and voila…
Split Pea Sausage Soup
- 4 sausage links, about 3/4 lb. ($2.99)
- 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced ($.75) Recent sale…10 lbs for $1.99!
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped ($.15)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed ($.15) Find my favorite garlic press in my Holiday Gift Guide!
- 1 tsp parsley ($.05)
- 1 1/2 cup green split peas, about 1/2 lb. ($.50)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, store bought or homemade (free to $1)
- 2-3 cups of water, depending on how thick/thin you want the soup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box frozen spinach ($.58)
- Cut the sausage into small pieces and brown. Once browned, add the diced potatoes, chopped onion and crushed garlic to the sausage. Let saute for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until onions become opaque.
- Next add the seasonings, split peas, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 50 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Add more water if needed to reach desired thinness.)
- Cook the spinach as directed on the box.
- Serve Sausage and Split Pea Soup with a side of spinach.
Have you pre-ordered your copy  yet?!
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/sausage-split-pea-soup/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 pre-ordered your copy: http://www.5dollardinners.com/breakfast-lunch-cookbook
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.