It’s hard to photograph egg casseroles. Every time I’ve tried, it just doesn’t look as good as it tastes. I suppose it’s the bland colors.
Anyways…L-O-V-E-D the sausage and apple flavors in this casserole!
6 slices wheat bread ($.25)
1 lb. mild sausage ($1.99)
1 onion, chopped ($.20)
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped ($.25)
8 eggs ($.80)
1/2 cup milk ($.05)
Salt and pepper
Fresh Fruit ($1)
1. Spray 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Tear 6 slices of bread and place into the baking dish.
2. Add 1 lb. of cooked sausage.
3. Add 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped granny smith apple.
4. Toss together in the baking dish.
5. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Pour over the bread, sausage and apple mixture in the baking dish.
6. (For best results, refrigerate overnight.) Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes.
7. Serve Sausage Apple Egg Casserole with fresh fruit.
P.S. I actually made this for our Christmas guests…just haven’t found the time to share it, until now!