Well, the $5 Dinner Challenge is back in action!!!
Rice and Beef Skillet Casserole
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 1/2 onion ($.20)
- 3/4 lb ground beef ($1.07) On sale last week for $1.49/lb!
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes ($.49) Bought with coupon
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 oz shredded cheese ($1.08)
- 1 bag baby spinach ($.99) Manager’s Special
- Bring 2.5 cups of water to boil. Add 1 cup of rice. Return to boil. Stir and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Chop onion and put in skillet. Add 3/4-1 lb ground beef. Brown the beef with the onion. Drain and rinse, if you prefer.
- Return meat/onion mixture to skillet. Set heat to medium-low. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes. Add Italian seasonings, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5-7 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
- Once rice has finished cooking, add to meat/onion/tomato mixture in the skillet. Mix well.
- Shred 4-6 oz of sharp cheddar cheese (or other favorite!). Sprinkle over the top of the rice/meat mixture in the skillet. Set to cook on low for about 5 minutes, giving cheese time to melt!
- Steam spinach in steamer for 4-5 minutes, until soft and tender.
- Serve Rice and Beef Skillet Casserole with side of steamed spinach!