Well, the $5 Dinner Challenge is back in action!!! If you’ve got a recipe from this week (or previous week ;), then please feel free to share it via Mr. Linky below, or in the comments!
This recipe is inspired by this one, Meat and Rice Casserole, from PhD in Parenting!
1 cup rice ($.20)
1/2 onion ($.20)
3/4 lb ground beef ($1.07) On sale last week for $1.49/lb!
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes ($.49) Bought with coupon
1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
4-6 oz shredded cheese ($1.08)
1 bag baby spinach ($.99) Manager’s Special
1. Bring 2.5 cups of water to boil. Add 1 cup of rice. Return to boil. Stir and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Chop onion and put in skillet. Add 3/4-1 lb ground beef. Brown the beef with the onion. Drain and rinse, if you prefer.
3. Return meat/onion mixture to skillet. Set heat to medium-low. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes. Add Italian seasonings, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5-7 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
4. Once rice has finished cooking, add to meat/onion/tomato mixture in the skillet. Mix well.
5. Shred 4-6 oz of sharp cheddar cheese (or other favorite!). Sprinkle over the top of the rice/meat mixture in the skillet. Set to cook on low for about 5 minutes, giving cheese time to melt!
6. Steam spinach in steamer for 4-5 minutes, until soft and tender.
7. Serve Rice and Meat Skillet Casserole with side of steamed spinach!
Print this Recipe
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!