Tonight’s meal was recommended by Kate…Here is the recipe she sent! Thanks Kate…we thought this was delicious!
I made a few modifications because I didn’t have Yellow Indian Woman Beans, nor did I have cilantro! I scaled the recipe down a bit, as the one she sent was for 10 servings.
I will say that pan roasting corn with green onions and garlic *might* just be my new favorite way to prepare corn! It gave this such a great flavor!
Remember that adding in a fun vegetarian dish like this one each week will help shave a little off your grocery bill!
1 1/2 cups dried small red beans ($.60)
6 cups water
Bunch green onions ($.33)
Few pinches of salt
1 cup brown rice ($.40)
1 tsp olive oil ($.05)
1 tsp lemon juice ($.03)
2 garlic cloves, crushed ($.10)
Kernal from 2 ears of corn ($.38) On sale $.19 each this week!
5 small tomatoes (from the garden)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 small bag of organic corn tortilla chips ($1.47) On sale this week!…and will use up the rest for tomorrow night’s Taco Salad!
About 1/2 jar store bought salsa ($1) I’m itching to make my own and can it…but am waiting a few weeks to go to the $.69/lb “you pick” tomato extravaganza at my farmer’s market!
1. Soak beans overnight (or at least 2 hours in HOT water if you forget to soak overnight!). Drain and rinse. Add to large saucepan with at least 6 cups of water, the white part of the green onions, and a few pinches of salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for 1.5 – 2 hours, or until beans are soft.
2. In small saucepan, cook brown rice according to package instructions.
3. Once beans and rice reach the end of their cooking times, add olive oil and lemon juice to skillet. Add crushed garlic, sliced green part of the green onions, and the kernals from the corn cob. (Cut off from the cob!). Saute over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes, or until corn browns.
4. Dice tomatoes from the garden.
5. Serve Red Beans over Brown Rice, Topped with Pan Roasted Corn and Tomatoes…and Chips and Salsa!
P.S. Sorry about the site hiccups (slow loading and down time) today…I have sent appropriate emails and all should be back to normal shortly!