- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Ranchero Black and Pinto Beans
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 28, 2010 @ 7:12 pm In Beans,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice | 21 Comments
At this point, we’re just throwing things together…a little of this from the freezer with a little of that from the pantry! But I must say…this is a WINNER!!!
(You know it’s a winner when you arrive at the dinner table half full because you’ve been sneaking bites from the skillet!)
Pantry(Rotel + Onions) + Freezer(Brown Rice + Black Beans + Pinto Beans + Holiday Ham) = Ranchero Black and Pinto Beans
1 small onion, chopped ($.30)
2 cups leftover ham, diced ($1)
2 cups cooked black beans ($.40)
2 cups cooked pinto beans ($.40)
1 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies (free) Sale plus doubled coupon!
Salt and Pepper, to taste
3 cups cooked brown rice ($.40)
About 1 lb. garden green beans  (free)
Substitutions: Sub. 1 15 oz. can of black beans and 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, both drained.
1. Cook black and pinto beans . (Because they take so long to cook, I prefer to cook these in large batches and freeze them in 2 cup portions.)
2. Thaw ham and beans. Dice ham. Chop onion.
3. Add a oil to skillet, then add onion and ham. Toss in partially or completely thawed beans. Add can of Rotel, undrained. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes.
4. Steam garden green beans for 4-5 minutes in microwave.
5. Thaw brown rice in microwave. (Just like the beans, I prefer to cook up a big batch of brown rice and freeze in 3 cup portions…enough for our family!)
6. Serve Ranchero Black and Pinto Beans over Rice with Green Beans.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/ranchero-black-pinto-beans/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 garden green beans: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/06/how-to-freeze-green-beans.html
 Cook black and pinto beans: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/10/how-to-cook-dried-beans.html
 the site’s disclosure policy: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/04/disclosure-policy.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.