I had firsts.
And *maybe* fourths.
(Perhaps it’s the half marathon training and the fact that my body is just CRAVING calories! Not only am I still full-time nursing, I’ve decided to train for the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half Marathon that will take place in November. I think I’m burning close to 3,000 calories per day. Hence *maybe* the fourth serving of this delicious quinoa salad.)
(But truth be told, I’d likely have eaten 4 bowls of this if I was not nursing and not training for this half marathon.)
Shall we move on to the ingredients?!
Chicken and Quinoa Waldorf Salad with Creamy Maple Vinaigrette
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup white quinoa ($1.25 ) (Red quinoa would be fine too)
- 2 cups chopped apples ($.75) From the manager’s special apples…and again, a *child who shall remain nameless* ate several before I could get them mixed in
- 1 cup chopped walnuts ($1)
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries ($.50)
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken  ($1.50)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (free from Amazon using Swagbucks )
- 1/4 cup apple juice ($.05)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar ($.05)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise ($.20)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with a side of green beans, steamed (from the garden)
- Cook the quinoa in 2 parts water: 1 part quinoa ratio. Bring water to a boil, then add quinoa and reduce heat and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until little ring separates from the grain.
- Chop apples, walnuts and shred the cooked chicken. (I used some chicken from what I cooked in the slow cooker  after my grocery shopping trip the other day.)
- Prepare dressing. Whisk all dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Toss together the cooked quinoa, chopped apples, walnuts, raisins and shredded chicken. Pour dressing over the top. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Wash, trim and steam the green beans for a few minutes, or until bright green.
- Serve Chicken and Quinoa Waldorf Salad with Creamy Maple Vinaigrette and Steamed Green Beans.