- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Chicken and Quinoa Waldorf Salad with Creamy Maple Vinaigrette
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On August 25, 2010 @ 5:05 pm In Dairy Free,GFCFSF,Gluten Free,Homemade,Recipes | 14 Comments
I had firsts.
And *maybe* fourths.
(Perhaps it’s the half marathon training and the fact that my body is just CRAVING calories! Not only am I still full-time nursing, I’ve decided to train for the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half Marathon that will take place in November. I think I’m burning close to 3,000 calories per day. Hence *maybe* the fourth serving of this delicious quinoa salad.)
(But truth be told, I’d likely have eaten 4 bowls of this if I was not nursing and not training for this half marathon.)
Shall we move on to the ingredients?!
1 1/2 cup white quinoa ($1.25 ) Red would be fine too
2 cups chopped apples ($.75) From the manager’s special apples…and again, a *child who shall remain nameless* ate several before I could get them mixed in
1 cup chopped walnuts ($1)
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries ($.50)
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken  ($1.50)
1/4 cup maple syrup (free from Amazon using Swagbucks )
1/4 cup apple juice ($.05)
1/4 cup cider vinegar ($.05)
1/4 cup mayonaisse ($.20)
Salt and pepper to taste
Green beans, steamed (from the garden)
1. Cook the quinoa in 2 parts water: 1 part quinoa ratio. Bring water to a boil, then add quinoa and reduce heat and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until little ring separates from the grain.
2. Chop apples, walnuts and shred the cooked chicken. (I used some chicken from what I cooked in the slow cooker  after my grocery shopping trip the other day.)
3. Prepare dressing. Whisk all dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
4. Toss together the cooked quiona, chopped apples, walnuts, raisins and shredded chicken. Pour dressing over the top. Season with a little salt and pepper.
5. Wash, trim and steam the green beans for a few minutes, or until bright green.
6. Serve Chicken and Quinoa Waldorf Salad with Creamy Maple Vinaigrette and Steamed Green Beans.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/quinoa-waldorf-salad/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 cooked and shredded chicken: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken.html
 Swagbucks: http://www.5dollardinners.com/onlineoffers/swagbucks
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.