- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos with “Guac De Gallo” – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On March 14, 2011 @ 6:04 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Pantry Staples,Quinoa,Recipes,vegetarian | 14 Comments
I have been on a bit of a quinoa kick lately. Making it way more often than rice!
(I guess that’s what happens when you buy 8 lbs. of the stuff !)
Cinnamon Walnut Quinoa , plus a Curried Chicken Quinoa that I’ll be making this week and a Spicy Southwest Quinoa that I’ve got on the calendar to share soon!
A “new and improved” rice and beans burrito! Using not rice, but of course, quinoa…
With a side of “Guac de Gallo” if you will.
Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos with “Guac De Gallo”
- 1 cup quinoa ($.75)
- 2 cups liquid – water or vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.16)
- 2 cups cooked black beans ($.40), or 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin ($.10)
- Juice from 1/2 lime ($.33)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-8 tortillas, depending on size and how many burritos you want! ($.75)
- 1 avocado, seeded and diced ($1)
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced ($.75)
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced ($.37)
- Couple dashes ground cumin ($.02)
- 2 sprigs cilantro, chopped ($.25)
- Juice from 1/2 lime (price above)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, cook the quinoa in the 2 cups of liquid, as directed on the package. As it nears it’s cooking time (after about 15 minutes), stir in the diced tomatoes undrained and the black beans. Add the ground cumin and the lime juice. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes, or until any remaining liquid cooks off. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into warm tortillas, roll and eat.
- If you want a little zing in your burritos, use Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies in place of the diced tomatoes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the avocado, tomato, green pepper and add some ground cumin, chopped cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Option #1: Serve the “guac de gallo” on the side.
- Option #2: Serve the “guac de gallo” inside the burritos.
- Either way, there won’t be anything left on your plate!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/quinoa-black-bean-burritos/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 when you buy 8 lbs. of the stuff: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/01/mushroom-quinoa-pilaf.html
 Cinnamon Walnut Quinoa: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/03/cinnamon-walnut-quinoa-breakfast-week.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.