Janice shares her favorite “Poor Man’s Stoup” recipe with us tonight! What a fantastic and filling meal!
And if you’re looking to save a little extra on ground beef, there’s a new coupon available..details here!
1 lb. ground beef or chuck (sausage or chicken works well too) ($1.50)
Carrots (from the garden)
Onions (from the garden)
Beef stock (2 cans)/also works with chicken stock ($1.00 bought on sale for $.50 a can)
1 to 1 1/2 cups of rice ($.25)
Bay leaf, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, terragon, sage ($.25)
1 can of cream of mushroom/chicken ($1.00-unfortunately not on sale)
dollop of sour cream ($.15)
parmesan (if desired) ($.10)
1. Brown hamburger in a stock pot. Drain, rinse and return to pot.
2. Add grated carrots, chopped onions, and chopped celery and let them sweat out until tender.
3. Add beef stock and bring to a boil.
4. Add rice (not cooked); 1 bay leaf, couple shakes of thyme, parsley, terragon, sage and salt and pepper, then turn down heat to simmer and let it cook until dinner time.
5. 10 min. before you eat, add the cream of mushroom/chicken, and the sour cream and parmesan. Give it just enough time to heat through, about 3-5 minutes.
Hint: You might have to occasionally add a little water here and there if it looks like it’s getting too thick.
Hint: This makes a TON of soup. We usually eat half, then I store the other half in the freezer for a day I don’t want to cook! Easy cheesy!
Enjoy this great one pot supper!!
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Want healthy and inexpensive meal ideas, the hottest coupons and other money saving tips delivered to your inbox??? Sign up for the FREE $5 Dinners Email Newsletter!