Tonight’s $5 Dinner Challenge meal comes from Melissa, who blogs at Mom’s Plans. She is currently working full time while raising two little ones. Her goal is to learn to live on less, as they strive to make it possible for her to become a stay at home mom.
Pita Bread Pizzas
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 1 bag pita bread
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- Favorite pizza toppings, such as pepperoni, ham and broccoli, ham and pineapple, sausage and green peppers…whatever!
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese for each pizza or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Side salad
- Cut the pitas in half to make open faces, and bake them in the oven at 350 for a few minutes, until they become crisp and start to curl in on the edges.
- Spread spaghetti sauce on top and layer on whatever ingredients you have on hand. We put on sliced mozzarella, deli ham and blanched broccoli.
- Cook at 350 for another few minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Serve Pita Bread Pizzas with Side salad or other favorite veggies to round out the meal!
Melissa’s Note: These taste like a thin crust pizza. My family prefers thicker crust pizza, so at the dinner table, we decided to fold each half over. We ended up with pita calzones that were tasty. This is a great way to use up leftovers!
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Want healthy and inexpensive meal ideas, the hottest coupons and other money saving tips delivered to your inbox??? Sign up for the FREE $5 Dinners Email Newsletter!