- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Garden Pasta Primavera
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On July 22, 2009 @ 7:29 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Garden,How To,Pasta,Recipes | 13 Comments
Because I spent most of the day running around with my brain in one room and my body in the other room (seriously, preparing to leave for just a few days is a MAJOR ordeal…can I get an AMEN!?!), I needed a quick one pot dinner that each of us could eat with a bowl and spoon. Sensing my desperation here!
16 oz. rotini pasta ($.95)
2 chicken breasts, diced ($1.72) Used $1 off coupon when on sale a few weeks back
1 summer squash ($.67)
1 zucchini squash ($.67)
about 1 cup grape tomates ($.49) On sale for $1.48/pint last week
Handful of sugar snap peas (free from the garden)
2 Tbsp butter ($.10)
2 Tbsp flour ($.05)
2-3 cups milk ($.30)
2 tsp red wine vinegar ($.05)
Salt and pepper
1. In large saucepan, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain in colander. Do NOT return to saucepan!
2. While pasta is cooking, dice the chicken breasts and cut the zucchini, squash, grape tomatoes and snap peas.
3. Once pasta is out of the saucepan, prepare cream sauce. Melt 2 Tbsp butter (I used a dairy-free variety).
4. Once melted, add in 2 Tbsp flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Use whisk to mix it into a paste.
5. Once paste has formed, quickly add in 2-3 cups of milk (I used rice milk to stay dairy-free!). Whisk well until the pasty clumps have dissipated into the milk. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until starts bubbling.
6. Once bubbling, the sauce is ready for a few mix-ins.
7. Add 2 tsp red wine vinegar, crushed garlic, cracked pepper, diced chicken.
8. Add about 2-3 Tbsp water in with the chicken, so the sauce doesn’t get too thick. Stir often while the chicken cooks through, about 4-5 minutes (depending on how thick the diced chicken pieces are!).
8. Once chicken has cooked through, mix in the cut vegetables. Cover and let cook for 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables have steamed.
9. Mix in cooked pasta. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
10. Serve Garden Pasta Primavera in one bowl. With one spoon!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/pasta-primavera/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.